SHORYU | Ogura Ujihikari x Samidori Matcha
SHORYU is a bi-cultivar Matcha made by blending Ujihikari & Samidori cultivars, produced by a 16th generation family-run garden from Ogura in Uji, Kyoto.
The unique soil characteristics of the Ogura area combined with the use of several organic fertilizers give to this tea a powerful full-bodied and complex flavour.
The Matcha from this producer is not as soft and smooth as our Shirakawa offerings, but rather bold, savoury and with an underlying astringency that fills up the palate with a lasting flavour.
SHORYU is made from tea trees that have been shade-grown for around 35 days, using a thick black cloth that blocks out most of the sunlight (Kanreisha).
Fully hand-picked and gently stone-milled into a soft silky powder, excellent for Usucha but also for Koicha for those who enjoy a bold and intense flavour.
- Flavour profile: Bold, savoury, earthy and floral, with unique roasted notes that cover the palate for a long finish.
- Harvest & Growth: 1st harvest (spring 2020) / shade-grown for 35 days / hand-picked and stone-milled
- Origin: Grown and processed in Ogura, Uji, Kyoto.
Storage: Seal package immediately after use and store in a cool dry place, away from sunlight, moisture, and strong odours.
Usucha (traditional Matcha tea)
- Sift 2g of Matcha into a bowl
- Wet with 20ml of 80°C water and knead into a paste using a Bamboo Whisk
- Add more water (50ml) and briskly whisk back and forth until a fine layer of froth forms on the top.
- Drink immediately.
Koicha (thick Matcha tea):
- Sift 4g of Matcha into a bowl
- Add 30-40ml of 80°C water and knead into a paste using a Bamboo Whisk
- Adjust consistency to taste and consume as is, without whisking into a frothy brew.
- Upon sipping, roll the liquor around the palate to allow a full appreciation of its subtle and complex notes.
Coldbrew Iced Matcha
- Sift 2g of Matcha into a shaker filled with 250ml of water
- Add sweetness (optional) and shake well.
- Place a few ice cubes into a glass and pour your Matcha over ice.
- Enjoy your Coldbrew Iced Matcha.