RYOKUN | Ogura Honzu Gokou x Saemidori Matcha
RYOKUN is a bi-cultivar Matcha made by blending Gokou & Saemidori cultivars, produced by a 16th generation family-run garden from Ogura in Uji, Kyoto.
The unique soil characteristics of the Ogura area combined with the use of several organic fertilizers give to the tea from this garden a powerful full-bodied and complex flavour.
The Matcha from this producer is not as soft and smooth as our Shirakawa offerings, but rather bold, savoury and with an underlying astringency that fills up the palate with a lasting flavour.
RYOKUN is an exceptionally blended Matcha, packed with the unique characteristics of two very different cultivars: Gokou with its bold, earthy and intriguing roasted flavour, and Saemidori with a more refined, sweet and Umami-rich profile.
The tea trees used to produce this Matcha have been shade-grown for around 35 days using traditional rice straw coverings, a labour-intensive process known as Honzu shading.
Fully hand-picked and gently stone-milled into a soft silky powder, excellent for Koicha and Usucha.
- Flavour profile: Rich, full-bodied, with a lot of complexity. Full of Umami and with a light pleasant astringency.
- Harvest & Growth: 1st harvest (spring 2020) / shade-grown for 35 days / hand-picked and stone-milled
- Origin: Grown and processed in Ogura, Uji, Kyoto.
Storage: Seal package immediately after use and store in a cool dry place, away from sunlight, moisture, and strong odours.
Usucha (traditional Matcha tea)
- Sift 2g of Matcha into a bowl
- Wet with 20ml of 80°C water and knead into a paste using a Bamboo Whisk
- Add more water (50ml) and briskly whisk back and forth until a fine layer of froth forms on the top.
- Drink immediately.
Koicha (thick Matcha tea):
- Sift 4g of Matcha into a bowl
- Add 30-40ml of 80°C water and knead into a paste using a Bamboo Whisk
- Adjust consistency to taste and consume as is, without whisking into a frothy brew.
- Upon sipping, roll the liquor around the palate to allow a full appreciation of its subtle and complex notes.
Coldbrew Iced Matcha
- Sift 2g of Matcha into a shaker filled with 250ml of water
- Add sweetness (optional) and shake well.
- Place a few ice cubes into a glass and pour your Matcha over ice.
- Enjoy your Coldbrew Iced Matcha.