Cream Puff Shells
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
Matcha Custard Filling
- 2 1/2 cup milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2-3 tbsp of our Culinary Matcha
- 1 tbsp vanilla.
For the cream puff shells
Preheat oven to 400 °F.
In medium saucepan, bring water to slow, rolling boil.
Stir in butter and mix until melted.
Add in flour and salt until soft, sticky dough forms.
Remove from heat and mix in eggs, one at a time.
Drop dough in rounded spoonfuls or by piping onto lined baking sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Reduce temperature to 350 °F and continue baking for another 30 minutes, or until shells are golden brown.
For matcha custard filling
- Combine egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, matcha powder and vanilla and mix well.
- Heat milk in saucepan until boiling and remove from heat.
- Slowly pour milk into matcha egg mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan.
- Bring saucepan back to low-medium heat, continue stirring until thickened.
- Place strainer over bowl and strain custard mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap, making sure to touch the surface of the plastic wrap to the custard.
- Refrigerate and let chill for a 2-3 hours.
For cream puffs
Pour custard filling into piping bag.
Slice cream puff shells diagonally down the middle.
Pipe filling into shells.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar or matcha powder for decoration.
Do not open the baking door during the baking process, as this will deflate the cream puff shells.
Pouring the hot milk into the matcha egg mixture is known as tempering, and this must be done slowly while stirring constantly as to not scramble the eggs.
Recipe developed by Joleen Cuisine.