AORASHI | Gokasho Asahi x Samidori Matcha
AORASHI is a bi-cultivar Matcha made by blending Asahi and Samidori cultivars, crafted by an award-winning producer located in Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto.
Made from tea trees that have been shade-grown for ~40 days, using a thick black cloth that blocks out most of the sunlight (Kanreisha).
Fully hand-picked and gently stone-milled into a soft silky powder, ideal for Usucha but also suitable for Koicha.
We love Matcha from this producer for its unique and prominent savoury profile, which stands out from our Shirakawa and Ogura offerings despite being all from the Uji region.
Expect a very rich, full-bodied Matcha with prominent oceanic notes (think of roasted nori) and deep Umami.
Flavour profile: Full-bodied and savoury, with a long Umami finish.
- Harvest & Growth: 1st harvest (spring 2023) / shade-grown for 40 days / hand-picked and stone-milled
- Origin: Grown and processed in Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto.
Storage: Seal package immediately after use and store in a cool dry place, away from sunlight, moisture, and strong odours.
Usucha (traditional Matcha tea)
- Sift 2g of Matcha into a bowl
- Wet with 20ml of 80°C water and knead into a paste using a Bamboo Whisk
- Add more water (50ml) and briskly whisk back and forth until a fine layer of froth forms on the top.
- Drink immediately.
Koicha (thick Matcha tea):
- Sift 4g of Matcha into a bowl
- Add 30-40ml of 80°C water and knead into a paste using a Bamboo Whisk
- Adjust consistency to taste and consume as is, without whisking into a frothy brew.
- Upon sipping, roll the liquor around the palate to allow a full appreciation of its subtle and complex notes.
Coldbrew Iced Matcha
- Sift 2g of Matcha into a shaker filled with 250ml of water
- Add sweetness (optional) and shake well.
- Place a few ice cubes into a glass and pour your Matcha over ice.
- Enjoy your Coldbrew Iced Matcha.